Sloth Servers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nerf - A Discussion

3 posters

Go down

The Nerf - A Discussion Empty The Nerf - A Discussion

Post by Cymas Mon May 30, 2016 11:33 am

It occurs to me in this flurry of polls and discussions that we never actually did the forum equivalent of a sit down to discuss what the nerf actually did, why it hit tamed animals so hard, and why it's not necessarily a bad thing. I am not speaking as a mod in this discussion, just as a player who did an entire challenge playthrough on the nerf stats and realized hey, it's not that bad.

What it did:

Health and melee damage level ups were adjusted to approximately 33% of their original values. Dino gather rates were increased to 3x so that animals would still harvest the same amount despite doing less damage.

Why was it bad?

In the beginning the nerf values were too low and some players were careless and got their animals killed, leading to many angry, over exaggerated threads on forums and other forms of social media. Over the course of multiple patches, the values were adjusted to be what they are now in order to make tamed animals less overpowered and closer to their wild counterparts.

What are nerf stats like now?

It's actually not as bad as you think. Tamed animals are weaker, yes, but so are wild animals. It is overall in my experience, much more balanced. No, you can't just hop on literally anything and expect to mow through anything short of an alpha rex, but realistically, you shouldn't be able to anyway. Again, keeping in mind that the game is intended to be tribe-based, so while you can play solo, the gameplay is based around multiple people working together. I still killed an alpha rex solo with a pair of battle brontos without difficulty, so I don't personally feel like the nerf is that bad. You just have to be a little more careful around the things that are bigger than you, which is basically common sense for a game like this anyway.

It hit us harder than most because we waited far too long to apply the nerf, especially for people who were breeding uber-animals and suddenly found their carefully bred animals ruined, for lack of a better term. Coupled with the food consumption bug that ate so many of our tames, disaster was unavoidable. But on the new iteration of the server, we could avoid this problem entirely by starting from the new balance stats (aka the nerf), rather than relying on outdated values.

It's also important to keep in mind that this was the first of what will likely be multiple gameplay balancing patches as content is added and the final game begins to take shape, so this is likely the type of discussion that is going to repeat itself several times. While I do agree we should be cautious about when we apply future balances, I personally feel that they should still be applied and not ignored in favor of 'easy mode'.
Cymas
Cymas

Dino DNA : 297
Fossil Fuel : 31

Back to top Go down

The Nerf - A Discussion Empty Re: The Nerf - A Discussion

Post by TFO-OptimusPrime Mon May 30, 2016 11:40 am

100% support that
TFO-OptimusPrime
TFO-OptimusPrime

Dino DNA : 55
Fossil Fuel : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Midnight Lady Mon May 30, 2016 11:44 am

Thanks for making the Post Cy. I haven't actually known the numbers involved and this just makes it more certain to me that the nerf is for the better especially having played on it before in my Single player game and having had no issues in that time.
Midnight Lady
Midnight Lady

Dino DNA : 80
Fossil Fuel : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down