Sloth Servers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mean or The Highest Vote?

2 posters

Go down

How do you think the polls should be counted?

The Mean or The Highest Vote? I_vote_lcap44%The Mean or The Highest Vote? I_vote_rcap 44% 
[ 4 ]
The Mean or The Highest Vote? I_vote_lcap0%The Mean or The Highest Vote? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Mean or The Highest Vote? I_vote_lcap0%The Mean or The Highest Vote? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Mean or The Highest Vote? I_vote_lcap56%The Mean or The Highest Vote? I_vote_rcap 56% 
[ 5 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 9

Poll closed

The Mean or The Highest Vote? Empty The Mean or The Highest Vote?

Post by BreakMeDown4 Mon May 30, 2016 10:27 am

[[EDIT NOTE: Had to edit the post, but couldn't edit the polls so I tried to remake it- then for some reason it duplicated the options from the deleted post- so only vote on the first "Mean" and the first "Highest Vote". Will count Mean votes as Medium votes too- I think I broke it. ^u^]]

Now that the polls are up (albeit last second), I figure this may be worth suggesting/discussing/voting on. That is, to determine how the polls should be tallied. Though it's out of my deciding I see there to be a few options with this, and my personal favorite option would be using the mean of the votes to decide on the final setting.

What is the mean?

The mean is the average of a series of numbers. For example, were we to take votes from the taming speed poll which currently has 14 votes, we have 2.5, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3.5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5. To get the mean you add all the numbers in the sequence together (52) then divide that by the number of numbers in the sequence (14), and you should have the mean (3.71).

Why use a mean for the server setting polls?

For the sake of giving everybody a bit of what they want, of course. Opinions will obviously vary, but by using a mean for the final settings it insures that everybody is being taken into account for- also giving much less reason for complaint for those who fall under the minority of votes. In other words, using the mean guarantees that everybody will have a say in the final result of the polls, rather than the highest being chosen and the opinions of everybody else going unspoken.

So, here's a small vote. Mean or highest poll? I don't object to either, but utilizing the mean would certainly be in favor of balancing the community's opinions, as we do hold many different players of different tastes.
BreakMeDown4
BreakMeDown4

Dino DNA : 59
Fossil Fuel : 5
Location : The magical land of bipolar bears, beavers and CANNUCK MCFREEDOM

Back to top Go down

The Mean or The Highest Vote? Empty Re: The Mean or The Highest Vote?

Post by DefectedZombie Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:37 am

Thats weird, I took a look at this for you and on the Forum admin side its only showing that there are two options upon looking at the poll settings, yet here on this page I see the repeated choices. If our maintenance guy gets on today I'll ask him to take a look at this.
DefectedZombie
DefectedZombie
Admin

Dino DNA : 295
Fossil Fuel : 12

http://www.slothservers.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by BreakMeDown4 Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:41 am

Oddly enough, it said medium, mean, mean, then highest vote x3 before, now it says all "mean" options are mean and highest vote options are highest votes. I'm pretty sure no matter what you select on either side it automatically tallies towards the highest of the category, (vote 2nd or 3rd mean and it goes to 1st mean) last I checked.
BreakMeDown4
BreakMeDown4

Dino DNA : 59
Fossil Fuel : 5
Location : The magical land of bipolar bears, beavers and CANNUCK MCFREEDOM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down